If you are a car owner, you need to be prepared for any situation related to your car; how you can escape if you accidentally drove off in the rain and what to do when the engine is rained on. So, can you jumpstart a car in the rain?
First of all, how do you know for sure if your car battery is dead? It’s really quite simple, the battery is dead when you turn on the ignition and you only hear audible clicks coming from the engine, or if you don’t hear anything at all. If you turn the key and the car’s engine starts, it is most likely a more complex mechanical problem that you cannot do anything about.
If you find that your car battery is low, you should do the following:
How to start a car from an external source (works with both automatic and manual transmission)
- Take out the connecting cables and open the hoods of both machines. Every responsible car owner always carries jumpers in the car. If you don’t have one, now is a good time to get one.
- Connect one end of the red positive cable to the positive terminal of the good battery and the other end to the discharged battery while avoiding rain droplets to the cables.
- Then connect one end of the black negative cable to the negative terminal of a working car and the other end to any unpainted metal part of the car with a discharged battery; this will prevent sparks and possibly scalding of the hair on your arm.
- Run the car with a good battery for 2-3 minutes, this will allow enough charge in the other battery to start on its own, and then disconnect the cables in reverse order. Let the machine run for half an hour to make sure the battery is sufficiently charged before proceeding.
How to start the car by pushing
- Engage first gear, turn on the ignition and fully depress the clutch.
- If you’ve parked upside down on a hill, you’re in luck. You just need to release the handbrake, let the car roll downhill to pick up speed, and then release the clutch immediately. This will cause the engine to spin and start on its own. If not, just press and release the clutch again. If you are not on a hill, you should find a couple of friends to help you.
Put this information in your back pocket and you no longer have to worry about starting a stuck car in the rain again.